Friday, April 5, 2013

The Show Stopper


Last night (April 4th, 2013) will go down as the best dunking exhibition ever since the inception of the NCAA Final Four 3-Point Shoot Out and Slam Dunk Contest and the main reason is no other than Kalamazoo’s own, Doug Anderson. Electricity was in the air in Atlanta, but it wasn’t from bad weather. It was from the crowd’s anticipation of seeing what dunk Doug was going to pull out of his arsenal and he definitely did not disappoint them. If you missed it, don’t worry just YouTube or Google it and believe me it will still have the same affect on you each time you watch it.

As I watched it, all I could think about was the countless times I was able to see Doug dunk in practice, after practice, and in games. I had one of the best seats in the house during his senior year at Kalamazoo Central High School and I have seen a lot of his very impressive game dunks. But last night was special, because I could see him in his element. Doug has grown out of his shell, so to speak. The reserved, quiet young man I remember from “09” is now not afraid of the spotlight and is now actually being appreciated for his athletic gifts. That was a proud moment for me, so I know his mother, Demesha Moore, had to be ecstatic. She has traveled from far and near to be at his games no matter what day of the week or weather she had to battle to get there. One thing Doug could count on was being able to look in the stands and see his mother wearing a KC Central, Mott, or U of D shirt. She is without a doubt his biggest fan.

But what really impressed me the most last night was the interview Doug gave after he won the dunk contest. His honest, humble response to ESPN’s Samantha Ponder’s question of what his game plan was for preparing for the dunk contest. He mentioned that he thought the other dunkers would come with something, but they didn’t even make him have to stretch and that he just used basic game dunks to win. To those that haven’t had the pleasure of seeing him dunk before or not know him personally that might have came off as condescending, but believe me he was telling the truth. Those dunks last night were impressive, so impressive that they put two of them on ESPN’s Sportscenter Top 10 (#3 and #1). But I’ve seen even better ones before after practice, which leaves me to believe that this isn’t the last major televised dunk contest for Doug Anderson. Can you say 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend Dunk Contest? Call me crazy, but I think it was made official last night. Keep Doing Your Thing Doug!


No comments:

Post a Comment