Sunday, April 21, 2013

#42

Last weekend I saw the movie, 42, and it was without a doubt one of the most inspirational films I have ever seen. Knowing the biography of Jackie Robinson and the plight of African Americans during the Jim Crow era, this film surprisingly encompassed more details and emotions than I had anticipated all within 2 hours and 8 minutes. This film moved me to restrain tears and the audience to applause at the conclusion. Believe it or not, but I reside in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Yes, I live in the south and I would have never imagined the response to this film, but it made me feel good nonetheless. But as I left the theater I could not help but think about all the other 42s or Jackie Robinsons in the world today; not only in sports, but other professions as well.


I’m sure some would like to say that the world is completely different now than it was 50 to 60 years ago, because we have an African American president. I will say it is better, but there are still a lot of changes that still need to be made in many areas. One area in particular is the head coaching position at Division I-A Football programs. This matter has yet to be rectified, but is heavily and quickly discussed and then swept under the rug after an African American coach is fired. The second area in need of change is at the Division I-A Athletic Director position. Like the head football coaching position, this position is dominated by White males and African American ADs hold a minute percentage.

Here we are in 2013 and still waiting for a change to come, but change is made by action not by waiting. Like in 42, Branch Rickey did not care about making others uncomfortable in order to do the right thing. Although he financially benefited in the end, it was a risk that other owners were not willing to take. On the other side, Robinson was not afraid to fight the unjust of the majority and held strong through times of adversity and danger. But who will be the next Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson? I guess we can either wait and see or start grooming the next Jackie and start pressuring the next Rickey to do the right thing. I think that is what Jackie Robinson would have wanted. Thank you #42!

No comments:

Post a Comment