Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Good Lose

If there was ever a time I would be okay with my favorite NFL team losing a game, not to mention the Super Bowl of all games, it was last night. My squad, the Pittsburgh Steelers, lost to the Green Bay Packers 31-25 in Super Bowl XLV. Believe it or not, it didn’t burn like when the Steelers lost to the Cowboys back in Super Bowl XXX, when Neil O’Donnell, Pittsburgh’s QB, threw two interceptions to Larry Brown, Cowboys’ defensive back, for two touchdowns. No, the sting wasn’t there this time. It was actually better than “bittersweet!”

You see the reason it wasn’t as painful to see my team go down in flames was that I was able to see Kalamazoo’s Own “Greg Jennings” score two touchdowns and win his first Super Bowl. I found myself cheering for both teams during the game. Whenever Green Bay made a play and Jennings had nothing to do with it, I was ticked off. But when Jennings made a play, I was cool with it. I was like “Do your thing Jennings!” When he scored his touchdown in the first half I was excited for him, because I wanted him to do well. But when he scored his second touchdown I knew he had sealed the deal for the Packers.

I begin to think that a person I actually know is not only going to be a Super Bowl Champion, but be the reason for his team to win it. Quite frankly, I believe that he should have been at least Co-MVP along with Aaron Rodgers. Without Jennings, the Steelers would be holding that Lombardi trophy instead. But that’s just my opinion. Oh My God! Again, I was overwhelmed with the fact that I knew a Super Bowl champion! All I could think was that “This has been a great year for him.” He was finally selected to the Pro Bowl this year, after being snubbed several times before and then to cap it off with a great performance in the Super Bowl to help bring back the Lombardi trophy to Green Bay. Man, what a year!

So am I still bitter about my Steelers losing? By no means at all am I upset. I am beyond excited for Greg Jennings and his family. It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. His performance last night was just a glimpse of what his character is like. This young man is not only a good representative of Kalamazoo, but a great disciple for Christ. He isn’t one of those superstars that give God the glory, because it is the politically correct thing to say when the microphone is shoved in their face. He lives it on and off the field. He gave God praise, because he knew it wasn’t just him catching and running for touchdowns in the Super Bowl last night.

So Congratulations Greg Jennings! Enjoy each and every moment of this Super Bowl experience with your family and teammates. And Kalamazoo residents, you better recognize that you now have a Super Bowl and World Series champions in your town! Now that is a Black History Month fact for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment